OUTSIDE THE BOX
Homeowners, building owners, and professionals have new responsibility and liability concerns. Here are a few items that might be of interest to you or someone close to you:
- Water and moisture intrusion (leaks) are the biggest category of construction failure in Florida. The true source of the leak must be discovered before any corrective repair action can be performed.
- Mold presence, or the reasonable suspicion of such presence, requires a Florida licensed contractor specifically licensed for mold remediation or assessment, to perform any assessment, removal, or repair, of an affected area.
- Homes, schools or day care centers constructed before 1978 are regulated by Federal code before specific work can be performed, and mandates that any contractor performing such work, must maintain a written log and photographic evidence of before, during, and after work documentation relative to the possibility of any lead paint presence. The contractor must be professionally trained and certified by the EPA to perform such work. There are in place, Federal Violation penalties which are enforced on the local municipality level and via Federal inspectors.
- Aging in Place and Universal Design is not just for old people. Those with disabilities and those making a Life Plan to remain in their homes as long as possible, engage a CAPS (Certified Aging In Place Specialist) to develop a plan. CAPS is an educational and practical designation awarded by the National Association of Homebuilder Remodelers in collaboration with AARP, National Council on Aging, and NAHB Seniors Housing Center.
- Sellers, Owners, Real Estate Sales Professionals- if you know your building has a problem, you MUST disclose it. And, any claim you make that a problem was repaired, you are responsible for knowing and assuring the repair was properly made.
Professionalism is an important reference in the construction, real estate, and insurance industries. To be a true Professional today, it is vital to possess the knowledge, experience, training, education, licensure, qualifications and integrity.